Everything you need from a BSL interpreting service in London
More than 9 million people in the UK have some form of hearing loss. That’s nearly 1 in 7 people. For around 80 000 of those people, British Sign Language (BSL) is their first or preferred language. Asian Absolute’s BSL interpreting services for the UK ensure that you can always communicate clearly. In any situation where you or another person need interpretation between English and BSL.
Why choose Asian Absolute?
You’ll find it simple to get the BSL interpreters you need anywhere in London and the UK. Asian Absolute ensures that you are paired with the linguist who is right for you.
Because just like any language, having a linguist who has in-depth knowledge of your field is key. It’s the only way you can clearly communicate in technically challenging fields such as medicine, finance or engineering. And know you’re doing so as effectively as you do in your own language. Whether that language is BSL or English.
- Count on an expert linguist selected from the NRCPD database(National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind People)
- Work with a specialist in your fieldwhen required – someone with qualifications and/or experience in your particular industry
- Rely on the same expertise which has been delivering interpreting services in more than 120 languages around the worldsince 2000
- Award-winning project managementrecognised as meeting the industry’s sought-after ISO:9001 quality standard
Asian Absolute helped FTChinese.com in the challenging task of building a world-class translation service. They provide top quality, personal service.
I was extremely impressed by Asian Absolute’s hard work to complete the project to our high standards and within a very tight timeframe.
Many thanks for your help and also for providing an interpreter for the week, she was absolutely fantastic and a real life-saver!
Guinness World Records
Hire BSL interpreters 24/7
Contact us now and tell us about your language requirements. You can get any extra information you might need or request a free, no-obligation quote at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is BSL?
British Sign Language is the type of sign language predominantly used in the UK. It is a visual language which relies on hand shapes, gestures, body language and facial expressions. In 2003, it gained official recognition as a minority language.
How is BSL different from other sign languages?
To someone not familiar with sign languages, it’s easy enough to assume that they are the same the world over. However, that’s not the case. There is no global sign language.
But some are linked. BSL shares many features with BANZSL (British, Australian and New Zealand Sign Languages) as they all evolved from the 19th-century version of British Sign Language. On the other hand, it’s dramatically different from:
- Signed Englishand Sign Supported English (SSE) are not true languages. But they are widely used in the UK. They stick more closely to the word order of spoken English but do use BSL signs.
- American Sign Languageor ASL shares around 30% of signs with BSL.
- Irish Sign Languageis more closely related to French Sign Language.
- Regional dialects and colloquialismsmean that even speakers of BSL in different parts of the UK might not understand each other.
If you need American, Irish, Scottish or Welsh sign language interpreters, Asian Absolute is still the ideal partner to help you. If you’re not sure which is going to be best for your particular event or situation, simply get in touch.
When would I need BSL interpreting services in the UK?
If you are not hearing-impaired yourself, there are still several reasons why you might need BSL interpreting services:
- In order to make your services more accessible to deaf or hard of hearing people (making “reasonable adjustments” to do so is actually a legal requirement)
- To ensure your speech, seminar, meetingor conference in the UK caters to every language spoken by your audience.