The right interpreter for your assignment in London and the UK
You need to be able to make yourself understood – or to understand what is being said – without effort. And without making any of the hundreds of small, but critical, errors of understanding or etiquette which you’d never make in your native tongue.
This can be the difference between success and failure in any business environment. It can mean the difference between life and death in medical situations. Or it can lead to a mass of missed social and networking opportunities.
What is the difference between consecutive and simultaneous interpreting?
For this reason, this kind of linguist is in high demand by world-leading corporations and organisations. You’ll find them in locations such as the floor of the United Nations General Assembly and in international conferences and committees around the world.
This style of interpreting allows your linguist to finish listening to what the speaker has said before they translate it. The speaker talks usually for a few sentences, your linguist analyses what they have said, and then translates it.
Consecutive Interpreters are most often hired for smaller formal business meetings and presentations, as well as social events such as dinner parties.
Have more questions about consecutive interpreting? Check the Frequently Asked Questions section at the bottom of this page or get in touch with us.
Why choose Asian Absolute?
You’ll be able to communicate with your audience with the same confidence and ease as you do in your own native tongue. This will be true whether that audience is a single critical client or a room full of international listeners.
Since 2000, we’ve been providing interpreters for diverse assignments in London, the UK, the US, Europe, Asia and worldwide. We now have a substantial network of high calibre language professionals, and pride ourselves on matching individual skill sets with client requirements.
- Complete mastery of both languages – your linguists will be more than simply fluent in both of the languages you need them to verbally translate between.
- Specialist knowledge is a must – whether you need someone experienced in business practice and terminology for your latest supplier meeting, or a medical expert for your hospital visit, you’ll always get connected with the right professional.
- All industries and fields covered – we have language specialists with deep knowledge of the fields of engineering, manufacturing, commerce, banking, finance, IT, telecoms, marketing, medicine, and many others.
- Discretion and courtesy guaranteed – interpreting specialists can be required to be present at sensitive meetings. We understand this, so all linguists sign Non-Disclosure Agreements as a matter of course.
- Quality assured – Asian Absolute is a proud member of both the British Association of Translation Companies and the American Translators Association. We’re certified to the industry-leading ISO:9001 quality management standard.
Guinness World Records
Interpreting services aren’t all about the words used
With Asian Absolute, you’ll always be assigned a linguist with the experience and knowledge of gestures, mannerisms and cultural norms to make sure you can interact with your audience in the most effective way.
Here you’ll find the expertise to communicate your message to any audience or clearly understand any speaker. Our most popularly requested languages include:
- Cantonese and Mandarin Interpreters
- Japanese Interpreters
- Korean Interpreters
Communicate through a specialist in your industry
We cover the full spectrum of interpreting services in our London office and in our wholly-owned office network on five different continents. Our most requested specialisms include:
A word about Quality Assurance
You’ll always get work from a highly qualified and experienced linguist. They’ll have had the accuracy, fluency, and speed of the verbal translations they produce checked by us on numerous occasions.
Book professional interpreters 24/7
Because we understand that your need for reliable interpreting services can arise in London, the rest of the UK, Europe, Asia, or anywhere in the Americas at any time, we’re here to support you 24/7.
Get in touch now to book or to get a free quote.
Get a free quote
What is simultaneous interpreting the best choice for?
Simultaneous interpreting services will be the best choice for you if:
- You don’t want your speaker to have to pause: unlike consecutive interpretation, there is no need for a speaker to wait for the linguist to translate what they have said.
- You are running a multi-language event: conference interpreters are usually placed in booths which are in a physically separate location from the speaker and other linguists. This is ideal for providing support for listeners who speak multiple languages.
The events which usually use this type of set-up are speeches, presentations, trade shows, larger business meetings where there is going to be less interaction between participants and, of course, conferences.
Which is the right simultaneous interpreter for me?
Simultaneous interpreting needs to be delivered by specially trained individuals.
This is because there really is no room for error here. Even a slight hesitation when deciding the most accurate way to convey what a speaker is saying can mean entire thoughts and important points are lost.
As well as their training and experience, you might want to ask yourself…
1) Does your interpreter know local customs, etiquette and body language?
The simultaneous interpreters we deploy in Singapore always have a deep appreciating and native-level understanding of the differences in body language, etiquette and local customs which are such important features of communication in South-East Asia – and, indeed, around the world.
You will always want to be sure that the language specialists you hire know how important it is to take these elements into account when conveying what a speaker has said.
2) Does your linguist truly understand the topic of your discussion?
In almost any field – business, banking, life sciences, engineering – specialist terminology will be involved.
Often, these aren’t the sorts of terms which will appear in everyday speech. Also, your conference interpreter won’t have time to stop and check a dictionary.
That’s the reason why all of Asian Absolute’s linguists are subject matter specialists – either through training, qualifications and/or more than five years of industry experience.
You’ll want to be confident that wherever you get your simultaneous interpreters from, they are too.
Ok, I need simultaneous interpreting for my event. Will I need any equipment?
In order to provide this service, a language specialist will need:
- A “booth” (a sound-controlled environment separate from the main floor) which must allow the linguist to view the speaker in full, either directly or via video link
- Headsets for the audience
Please get in touch with us if you need any advice as to specific equipment and where to acquire it. We are used to handling the language support for all scales of conferences and meetings.
You can also usually discuss any equipment requirements with any event space which you might be hiring.
What is consecutive interpreting?
Your opposite number speaks. They pause. The interpreter verbally translates what they have said. Then it’s your turn. If you’ve ever watched a courtroom or police drama where a suspect is being interviewed with an actor playing an interpreter, you’ll have some idea what consecutive interpreting is.
In conference or simultaneous interpreting, the linguist speaks over the speech being given. Usually through a headset while they sit in a soundproof booth elsewhere. A consecutive interpreter will be physically present and part of your conversation.
When is a consecutive interpreter best for me?
Consecutive interpreting services are usually requested by our clients in Singapore and around the world for:
- Business meetings
- Presentations and after dinner speeches
- Site visits
- Specialist medical interpreting services are available for doctor’s appointments
- Dinners and other small-scale social situations
In short, any time when:
- You might need to ask questions. During a business meeting, for example, needing to request clarification of a certain point is fairly common. With your linguist sitting right beside you, that will be easy.
- You might prefer a more personal approach. You could be part of a conversation where someone who translates your particular way of speaking would be an advantage. When you need to persuade or negotiate, for instance.
- You might need to keep your language services cost-effective. Because it is slightly less demanding than simultaneous interpreting, consecutive interpreting is usually cheaper.
Do I need any special equipment for consecutive interpreting?
None at all. The only exception might be if you want your service to happen via remote video conferencing or over the phone. In these cases we will be happy to arrange suitable equipment for you.